Friday, June 19, 2009

Plug for Pickleville Playhouse


Yes, this is a shameless plug for a local business. Let me explain why---with the way the weather has been lately (rain, rain, and yet more rain) not to mention gas prices, the economy forecast as a whole, etc. it's pretty easy to get down in the dumps. This is when a good laugh becomes priceless. I experienced several hearty laughs, numerous chuckles, and a hardy guffaw last weekend compliments of the famed Pickleville Playhouse located south of Garden City on Bear Lake Boulevard. You can find the directions to this fun place here: Click me!

We bought tickets to see the production that was performed last Saturday night: "The Hanging of El Bandito." What a riot. I laughed from start to finish, and that's saying something. I love comedies, but it takes something really funny to get me to laugh out loud. El Bandito was hilarious!!!

The script was written by a talented young man, TJ Davis, who stars as Juanito Bandito. True, he borrowed a few lines from the movie, "Nacho Libre," and bragged about his stretchy pants quite a bit, but as a whole, the entire production was exceptionally well done.


I've attended other productions in this live theater, but this was by far my favorite. The musical numbers performed were impressive. The harmony was dead-on, and you could tell the actors and actresses were enjoying themselves thoroughly. So was the audience. That place was packed Saturday night and everyone had a wonderful time.

With this type of live theater, the audience is involved throughout with cheering, booing and hissing, and at times, active participation both onstage and off. I loved it when Juanito Bandito paused half-way through to make a point about cellphones, picking on the piano player off to the side. (Yep, most of their musical numbers are accompanied by a small, live orchestra.)

You will pay more for a live performance than you will to see a movie, but it is well worth the extra cost to see something this entertaining. So if you're looking for something to do that will lift your spirits and inspire side-splitting laughter, go see "The Hanging of El Bandito." You'll enjoy every minute of the performance, and you'll find yourself wanting to return soon to see it again.

4 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

I wish we could have stayed one more night and attended this with you. I definately want to come and see this!! Just gotta talk the man into going.

Cheri J. Crane said...

Jody, you and Doran have to see the stretchy pants performance. It is most excellent!!!

TJ Davis said...

Thanks so much for the compliments and shameless plug! We rely on good word of mouth. Hope to see yall again soon! Tj Davis

Cheri J. Crane said...

Hi TJ! Thanks for stopping by to see this shameless plug. ;)I loved your production and I'm telling as many people as I can. I hope to see it again soon.