Monday, August 13, 2007

Transition

All righty then . . . I was going to post a silly poem this morning, then I stumbled onto one I had written a long time ago that is more along the lines of seriousness. (I warned that the mood of these items would vary)

This is a poem I wrote after being told I was through blessing the world with posterity. I'm a Type 1 diabetic, and a few complications had set in with the arrival of son # 3. Let's just say that we were both quite fortunate to survive that adventure. I knew it was a miracle that we had both pulled through, but it still stung, knowing that part of my life was over. I thoroughly enjoyed being a mom, and I had always wanted a large family. Being told I would have to settle for 3 was disappointing. This event occurred about the same time I was called to serve in the YW organization years ago. (Yep, I'm LDS---more commonly known as a Mormon.) Wading through the emotions of that time, I tried to look on the bright side: I was blessed with 3 wonderful sons, and I inherited numerous daughters through an inspired calling.

There are moments in all of our lives, when we have to shift gears and head in a different direction---this was one of those life-changing occasions.

Transition
A door had closed firmly, the time had passed
An era laid to rest
But as I glanced down the darkened hall,
Another door beckoned, another test.
Fearing the challenge, yet embracing the chance,
I'm drawn toward this new light--
A portal I would have missed before,
Blinded while the other remained in sight.
Cheri J. Crane

No comments: