Wednesday, May 7, 2008

1st Post for Travel Section of yourldsneighborhood.com


Hi all. So in way of exciting news, I will be blogging a couple of times a week for the hip-happening website: "http://yourldsneighborhood.com I'll be sharing some of my traveling adventures. Today will be the first in what I hope will be a series of warm fuzzy\humorous episodes. [It's an introduction to what I'm attempting to do. And here's a hint: be sure to check out the website above. ;)]

When I was quite young, I practically devoured books. One afternoon when I was about nine, I entered the school library to return the stack of books I had checked out a couple of days before. The librarian scowled at me. She insisted that I couldn’t check out any more books that week. She reasoned that there was no way I could possibly be reading the amount of books I tended to check out on a weekly basis. In her opinion, I was causing her extra work that she didn’t have time for as the very busy elementary school librarian. When the woman paused for a gasp of air, I meekly stated that I was sorry it was causing her extra work, but that I was indeed reading every book I checked out. By nature quite shy, I was amazed by my boldness. It was the first time I had ever stood up for myself.

My courageous moment was rewarded with another lecture. I was in big time trouble and the librarian was going to call my mother to report my cheeky behavior. She asked for my home phone number. Crying, I wrote it down for her. After my mother finished humbling the librarian (I was later told that my mother had let her know in no uncertain terms that I read every book I brought home. She had added that if said librarian didn’t want to endure the wrath of a fiery Scottish temper, she would allow me to check out as many books as I wanted) I was given free rein to check out books to my heart’s content. I was in heaven, and the busy librarian never bothered me again.

I read and loved all kinds of books. The books I enjoyed the most contained vivid details about places around the world, cities and oceans I hadn’t yet seen at that young age. I savored the descriptions and imagined what it would be like to travel to those locations in person.

Time passed. We won’t say how much. =) But eventually I grew up and married a wonderful man. He works for a company that owns plants all over the United States and across the world. And as fate would have it, I became a writer along the way. Between the two of us, we have been given opportunities to travel to wonderful places. Traveling has become a favorite pastime for both of us. Now that we’re empty nesters, those opportunities will increase.

I plan to share numerous adventures as an avid traveler. Because of who I am, most of these blogs will contain a bit of humor. Hopefully a few will reveal an insight or two into human nature, glimpses of courageous determination, and vivid descriptions of the places I have grown to love. It is my hope that this will be a journey we'll enjoy together.

Return to
http://yourldsneighborhood.com

No comments: