Friday, February 15, 2008

February Blues




This winter will definitely be one for the history books. We've experienced record cold spells, countless blizzards, and snow measured in feet, not inches. In honor of the memory, here is my tribute to Winter 2008:

February Blues

This year the groundhog let me down
He saw his shadow on the ground
I was hoping spring would finally come
But Old Man Winter stuck out his tongue.

True, we had suffered a major drought
Before this lovely winter bout
The moisture is very much needed
I understand the clouds were seeded.

We have been grateful for the snow,
We just wish that it would go
Melt quickly and dissolve
And the problem would resolve.

We’ve endured repeated storms
Blizzards created artistic forms
Varied drifts in my front yard
Could be a spectacular Hallmark card.

The snow is higher than my head
Leaving the driveway is my dread
Streets are covered with ice and snow
Getting stuck makes it hard to go.

One thing that I know
About all of this lovely snow
I won’t be too sad to see it go
When winter decides to end the show.

Some things have to go,
I vote that it’s the snow
I’ve got the February blahs
They’ll leave when it finally thaws.

Until then I’ll pretend
That spring is around the bend
I am certain I'll be there, too
It’s the least that I can do.


Cheri J. Crane
February 2008

6 comments:

Kerry Blair said...

I'd tell you that I'm jealous of all that beautiful snow, but you'd probably send me a stink-bomb.

I DO love all our Arizona sunshine but, boy, is it difficult to drink!

There ought to be a happy medium somewhere! (St. George, perhaps?)

Cheri J. Crane said...

Kerry, I would never send you a stink-bomb. I might hurl a snowball your way, but that's about it. ;)

If this snow all decides to melt at the same time, we're going to need an ark. Think Evan Almighty would loan us his?

Amanda said...

Hey-
I found you through other blogs! I love reading your work and seeing pics of home! My blog is at timporterfamily.blogspot.com.
Take care,
Amanda "Crane"

Cheri J. Crane said...

Hi Amanda. I'm so glad you found me. ;) How are things going? Your s-i-l was here visiting the other day and told me that her aunt is in your ward. Way cool. Definitely a small world, eh?

I'll take a look at your blog.

Have a great day and keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Cheri, This is Angie Bolton and I, like Amanda found you through other bloggs. This is so fun to be able to keep in touch like this. My fam's blog is available through my Mom and Dad's blog and I know that you know that one as I have seen your comments before. Talk to you soon. Angie

Cheri J. Crane said...

Hi Angie! =) Welcome aboard. And you're right, this is a fun way to keep in touch.