Friday, September 7, 2007

Life's Storms

Lately it seems that numerous storms of all varieties have descended without warning. Here in Bear Lake Valley, we have seen our fair share of weird weather. Bizarre frosts, dust storms, wind strong enough to knock out the power, etc. Just a couple of days ago, my husband called from work to alert me to the fact that our entire area was experiencing a tornado watch. This is a rare occurrence for a mountain valley. Bear Lake Valley came through with flying colors during this particular storm, but in nearby Soda Springs, close to the Monsanto plant where my husband works, a tornado did in fact descend. For more details regarding this, see this link:
http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=7033129

There are other storms that descend into our lives, varying trials that challenge our peace of heart and mind. As I've mentioned in other posts, several of my friends and family members have been enduring storms of this nature. This kind of tempest can inspire fear, sorrow, and doubt. And yet, if we truly believe that we are beloved children of a loving Heavenly Father, we would cling to hope, to the knowledge that no matter what we're facing, if we'll utilize faith, we can and will survive.

This is a lesson I am constantly learning. Sometimes I need reminded that sudden squalls stretch us in ways not possible in any other fashion. But while the rain descends and the lightening flashes, fear is prone to surface.

During one such storm, I turned to a favorite form of coping, I began writing out what I was feeling. Still grieving over my father's untimely death, on a day when sorrow took the helm, I sat down to write a pity song. And as often happens, Someone Else had other plans. It became a song of hope.

I later performed this song at a fund-raiser for local education needs. It seemed to touch a chord. I was asked to record it for a collaborated work for Bear Lake Valley. Varied singers from our area joined together to perform songs of a positive nature. The title of my song was used as the title of the cassette: Colors of the Rainbow.

To me, the rainbow is a symbol of hope, an indication that all storms will eventually come to an end, and though we may believe otherwise, we are never alone.

Colors of the Rainbow

1st: Ev'ry so often, storms will come our way,
Sometimes they'll stay forever, sometimes for just a day---
And when the wind is howling and the clouds block out the sun,
And the crackling sound of lightening, strikes fear in everyone,
Hold on tight together as the rain starts pouring down,
For the colors of the rainbow will soon come, shining 'round.

2nd: Ev'ry so often, trials will come our way,
Sometimes they'll stay forever, sometimes for just a day---
And when your heart is breaking and the pain blocks out life's light,
And the hope for a new tomorrow, never seems in sight,
Hold on to one another as the rain starts pouring down,
For the colors of the rainbow will soon come, shining 'round.

Cheri J. Crane

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheri,

Thanks for this insightful post. And the song, I wish I could hear it. I heard a melody in my heard as I read the words, which are beautiful, but I doubt it was your melody.

Can you get a digital copy of the song to put on your website so that we can all hear it?

Cheri J. Crane said...

Hi Candace. Glad you liked the lyrics. I'll have to see if my computer genius sons can come up with a digital version of this song. And if they can't maybe my brother, (who has taught my sons everything they know)can help.