Friday, September 28, 2007

Autumn Rain


Last weekend, our family decided to drive up a local canyon to enjoy the beautiful fall colors. This only took a few minutes, since we live near the base of several mountains. On this particular day, it decided to rain. By the time we reached our destination, a place called Maple Canyon, it was pouring.

My husband, oldest son, and brother-in-law, all decided to hop out of the truck anyway. I sat inside the shelter of the truck for a few minutes, debating on whether or not I wanted to get wet. Then I realized something, I was missing out. There were colorful leaves everywhere and I couldn't adequately appreciate what was there, until I moved beyond my comfort zone.

I captured some of the most beautiful pictures that I've ever taken as a result. And something of an analogy. Sometimes we have to push ourselves beyond our comfort zone to see the good and positive things that still exist in this crazy world. It's scary, leaving our fears behind to embrace the moment, but as I'm finding, it's definitely worth the effort.

Autumn Rain

A kaleidoscope of color
Whirling in a blend
Greens, yellows, reds and oranges
Combining without end


Brilliant hues abound
Upon the radiant hills
Beckoning in sunshine
And during cloudburst spills


Rain falls fast and furious
Darkening the sky
Filling empty creek beds
With a quiet lullaby


A farewell toast to summer
As fall moves center stage
Iridescent colors hinting
It’s time to turn the page.

Cheri J. Crane
Sept. 2007

No comments: