Friday, July 2, 2010

"Leaning Into the Curves"


Once in a great while a book comes along that totally mesmerizes me. I begin to read and find that I can't put the thing down. "Leaning into the Curves," written by Nancy Anderson & Carroll Hofeling Morris is one such book.

I was intrigued by reading the back cover which states in part: "Molly is happy with her life the way it is . . . but everything changes when her husband, Hank, retires. She's still trying to adjust to this new phase of life when he brings home a Honda Gold Wing---even though he knows she hates motorcycles!"

I suspect that paragraph captured my attention since this could be a chapter from my own life. My husband is planning to retire in a few years, and he absolutely loves motorcycles. Myself, I possess a healthy fear of those two-wheeled contraptions of death---in part because I nearly died on a motorcycle during my college years. (A looooonnnnnggg story for another day's blog post.)

Consumed with curiosity, I totally devoured "Leaning into the Curves," and absolutely loved it. Well-written, it was a fun, easy read, with a ton of wisdom buried in the pages. Filled with captivating characters and humorous twists that seem to go along with the retirement years, this is a book I will definitely reread again and again. It was so true to life, I found myself agonizing with the main character, Molly, as she struggled with facing her fears as she tried to embrace something that meant so much to her husband, Hank.

When I finally set the book down, I found myself rethinking my husband's attraction to motorcycles. In fact, I think I found a healthy compromise for our own retirement years: Click here for that interesting item. ;) I could see myself riding on this kind of contraption. In fact, on a recent trip to Arizona, we actually found something similar. (See picture below.)



You might be interested to know that the two women who wrote this tome are in fact sisters. Their website is VirtualSisters.net and you can also read their wonderful posts on CrustyOldBroads.blogspot.com. I know I, for one, am a huge fan of their novels. I've read some of their other books (The Company of Good Women series---loved it, too) and hope that they will continue to collaborate on future works.


I'm giving this particular book a 5 star rating (5 being the highest rating possible). I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys an extremely good read.

4 comments:

Carroll said...

You're not alone in your fear of motorcycles, Cheri!

When Nancy and I went to the TRA rally in Boise last week, we met quite a few women who weren't very happy about their husbands' love of cycles, but were able to overcome their fears and ride with their men.

I have to tell you, the TRA couples are fun to watch--they have so much fun with each other and the group. Maybe you and Kennon should check them out.

Thanks for the great review!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked our book! Thank you for taking the time to review it for us. Carroll and I had a wonderful time getting to know the members of the TRA while researching the novel. We recently attended the their 21st rally in Boise. I got to ride a tryke just like the one in your picture. It was a terrific adventure. Check out our blog on the rally at crustyoldbroads.blogspot.com to see Carroll in a side car (with reclining seat and air conditioning)!

Nancy Anderson said...

I'm not anon., just harried! Thanks again for taking a look at our book.
Nancy Anderson

Cheri J. Crane said...

Hi Carroll & Nancy! =) Thanks for stopping by. I absolutely loved your novel!!!

Nancy, I'm still leaning toward the tryke idea. ;)

Carroll, we'll have to look into the TRA organization down the road . . . pun intended. ;)