Tuesday, March 2, 2010
I've been asked to review a book that is being released on April 1st of 2010. As you can see from the picture above, it is a work by the late, W. Cleon Skousen entitled, "The Cleansing of America," published by Valor Publishing.
To be honest, I had never heard of this author. (Don't make fun. Just because everyone else I've talked to knew all about him, that doesn't mean I'm lacking in the gray cell department.) To atone for my lack of knowledge, I did a little research. I learned the following:
1) Cleon was born in Canada in 1913, and grew up in Canada, Mexico, and California. His parents were United States citizens, but they had been asked to help settle an LDS colony in the Alberta area of Canada. The Skousen family lived on a dry farm in that location. When he was older, Cleon spent time in Mexico, helping an ill grandmother who was part of the Mormon colony in Colonia, Juarez.
2) He served an LDS mission to Great Britain in 1930.
3) He attended San Bernadino Jr. College in California. He later attended George Washington University Law School in Washington D.C. and graduated in 1940 with a Juris Doctor (JD) law degree.
4) He served as an United States government aid in Washington D.C.
5) He married Jewel Pitcher in 1936. They had 8 children.
6) He served as an FBI agent for 16 years.
7) He was asked to join the Brigham Young University faculty in 1951 where he served as head of the Student Alumni organization. He also taught religion courses at this same university from 1967 until his retirement in 1978.
8) He served as police chief of Salt Lake City for four years.
9) His first book was published in 1958, "The Naked Communist." He went on to publish numerous other books and several of his speeches were recorded. Most of these are still available on this website.
10) In 1972, he organized "The Freeman Institute," a non-profit educational foundation, which held seminars to teach youth about the Constitution of the United States.
11) Cleon lived to be almost 93 years old. He passed away 11 days shy of this achievement in 2006.
Cleon Skousen left an unpublished manuscript with his family, instructing them to seek its publication when the time was right. This is the book entitled: "The Cleansing of America." Based on years of research, this book lists the prophecies made about the latter-days, and Brother Skousen's opinion of what will take place as a result.
It is an interesting work, and I believe it will inspire many to seek out and study the prophecies for themselves. It is obvious that Brother Skousen has put tremendous effort into this final book. Borrowing from the preface: "The Cleansing of America," is the culmination of several years of research, writing, and speaking on the subject of prophecy and the latter days relative to the United States."
I would add one cautionary bit of advice: If you're like me at all, some of the things predicted for the future sound downright scary. However, I firmly believe that we will be watched over and protected, according to the heed we give important standards and commandments. I also believe that if we'll observe the counsel given to us by our prophet, and other general authorities, as well as our inspired local priesthood leaders, we will be guided in knowing how best to prepare for the days ahead. Remember always that faith and fear cannot reside within the same heart.