Monday, March 9, 2009

Entertaining Moments


So it snowed again today . . . and last night . . . and it's still snowing.
Sigh . . . =) Joys of living in a mountain valley. We experienced one day of wonderful weather this past week, and it made everyone antsy for spring. As such, I've decided that today's blog will consist of ways to keep ourselves entertained, despite the less-than-spring-like weather.

1.) Have a relaxing massage. I do this twice a month and it helps a great deal with the arthritis thing. In fact, I braved the scary roads to drive in for one of these earlier this morning. Now I can move with what I hope is grace the rest of the day. =) Not only do massages relax a person in general, massages can help ease the muscle strain that takes place for someone like me who endures a form of rheumatoid arthritis.

2.) Read a good book. I love to read, and I don't always find the time to do so. On yucky days like today, I don't feel so guilty spending quality time reading a good book. Incidentally, I just finished JoAnn Arnold's "Prince Etcheon" and loved it. Thumbs way up on that book. If you enjoy fantasy novels, you have to read this one. Currently I'm reading "Almost Sisters," by Nancy Anderson, Lael Littke, & Carroll Hofeling Morris. It is also a good read. I'm enjoying it in part because I've met several "almost sisters," throughout my life. They've made my life an enjoyable journey.

3.) Catch up on those projects you've been putting off. Like the scrapbook\family history book I'm trying to finish for son # 3 before he returns home from his mission this May. His was the only book I didn't have to have finished by Christmas. Now I'm paying for that. ;)

4.) Write a letter. It's old-fashioned, I know, but sometimes writing a letter instead of the instant e-mail option is a needful thing, and it means a lot to the person on the receiving end.

5.) Watch a funny movie. That always perks me up on a grey day. Laughter truly is the best medicine, as far as I'm concerned.

6.) Do a jigsaw puzzle. I love tackling one of these. Again, I don't usually have time to mess with them during these busy days I call my life at the moment. A stormy day like today gives me that excuse.

7.) Call someone you haven't talked to in a while and have a good visit. That always boosts spirits on both sides of the telephone line . . . or should I say on the cordless, wireless, cell phone thingy?

8.) Browse through a seed catalogue like Gurney's. I did that the other day and I've already picked out what we'll plant in our garden this year. Since I love to play in the dirt, this always cheers me up. Incidentally, you can browse
Gurney's on the internet. Just click on the highlighted word in the last sentence. Enjoy!

9.) Try a new recipe. This is always an adventurous pastime. I call it playing with food. ;) And since I love to do just that, this is generally a good time. Of course there was that one time when I tried making quiche. That was the day I learned that real men (ie: my husband) don't like quiche at all. Even if it looked wonderful and I thought was rather tasty.

10.) Take a bubble bath. Soak in warm water and pretend you're playing in the Carribean. Or enjoy a lengthy soak and read a good book. This is a wonderful way to relax unless you drop the book. Then it becomes a tragic moment. So be careful. ;)

11.) Go shopping, even if it's the "window" variety. Just being out and about around other people tends to lift my spirits.

12.) Play fun games. This works best if you can talk other people into playing them with you. =D

13.) Savor pictures of the grandchildren. That's why I posted one of those at the beginning of this blog. This is a recent picture of my little granddaughter, Aari. =) I can't help but cheer up when I look at pictures like this one.

14.) Tackle something you've always wanted to do. Develop a new talent. Myself, I've always wanted to paint landscapes and one of these days, I'm going to do just that.

I'm sure if you think about it, you can come up with other fun\entertaining ways to perk things up on a dreary day. Spring will eventually come (in our realm, about June or so) until then, dress in bright vivid colors, make snow angels, and try to make the best of things until the sun decides to shine again.

1 comment:

Dannyel Crane said...

I loved this blog. Your list consists of everything I wish I could do daily! At least monthly! Thanks sure enjoy your blog. How have you been feeling? I heard the foot soak worked miracles?