Monday, January 12, 2009

Magical Musicals


A huge tradition in my family involves yearly appreciation and enjoyment of classic musicals. As I mentioned a blog or two ago, I grew up in a clan that loves musicals and show tunes. Through the years we've watched these wonderful productions together, we've learned & performed the songs, and we've even taken part on occasion when local theatrical groups presented them for entertainment. In fact, it was while I was portraying Moonbeam McSwine in the musical, "Lil' Abner" that I met my husband-to-be, Kennon Crane. =) I caught him during the Sadie Hawkins Race as he was sitting in the audience that night. We had been told to flirt with the men in the audience during this particular performance, to get everyone involved. Let's just say I was successful with this endeavor. ;)

I'll admit that I own copies of most musicals. Since my family "tolerates" this secret passion of mine, they will sometimes sit through them with me when I feel the urge to enjoy one.

Probably my favorite musical of all time is "Fiddler on the Roof." I remember going with my parents to see the movie when it first came out in 1971. I loved it then and it continues to be a musical close to my heart. I was thrilled in college when we studied it in one of the drama classes I was fortunate enough to take. I was ecstatic when my husband bought tickets for us to see a live production of it in Salt Lake City one year for my birthday. It was a wonderful highlight in my life.

This year for Christmas, my husband gave me a collection of 3 musicals on DVD:
West Side Story, Guys & Dolls, & Fiddler on the Roof. And as you've probably guessed, we spent a bit of time enjoying them during the holiday season. =D

In recent years, our local high school has performed several wonderful musicals, including: "Les Miz," " Grease," "Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat," "My Fair Lady," & just last month, "Oklahoma." Since I'm still the fearless leader for the YW in our ward, and at least two of them participated in "My Fair Lady," and "Oklahoma," we elected to go and support these talented young women as one of our activities. And our girls loved this experience. Some of them had never seen these particular productions and it was great to see the excitement on their faces and to hear them exclaim that they are going to rent the movie version in the near future to watch in their homes. It is my hope that this endeavor will inspire a love of an artform close to my own heart.

To me, watching a good musical is a great way to unwind, relax, and learn. As I look back, I can honestly state that musicals have been a tremendous influence in my life.

The "Fiddler on the Roof," makes me laugh and cry every time I watch it. It emphasizes how faith helps us through difficult times and that we are all "fiddlers on the roof" trying to survive the challenges of life.

From "The Sound of Music," I learned about courage, romance, and the importance of standing up for what you believe in.

It was while watching "Mary Poppins," during a particularly difficult time in our family (my dad was in the hospital fighting a rare liver disease and we weren't sure he was going to make it) that I was filled with a sense of hope for a better day.

I've even gleaned comfort and inspiration from musicals like Disney's, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when I first heard the song, "God Help the Outcasts." I consider this movie to be one of their best and I own copies of the movie, and the soundtrack. It not only tackles important issues like social fallacies (the negative way we sometimes treat those who are different) but other songs, like "Out There," and "Someday," touch on topics like embracing life and being grateful for what we often take for granted, not to mention, looking forward to a time when greed and nastiness will fade away and we can live together in peace:

Someday
(Lyrics by: Stephen Schwartz)

When we are wiser
When the world's older
When we have learned
I pray
Someday we may yet live
To live and let live
Someday
Life will be fairer
Need will be rarer
And greed will not pay
God speed
This bright millennium
On its way
Let it come
Someday

Someday
Our fight will be won then
We'll stand in the sun then
That bright afternoon
'Till then
On days when the sun is gone
We'll hang on
If we wish upon the moon

There are some days dark and bitter
Seems we haven't got a prayer
But a prayer for something better
Is the one thing we all share

Someday
When we are wiser
When the whole world is older
When we have learned
I pray
Someday we may yet live
To live and let live
One day, someday
Someday
Life will be fairer
Need will be rarer
Greed will not pay
God speed
This bright millennium
Let it come
If we wish upon the moon
One day
Someday
Soon

One day
Someday
Soon

So during this challenging time when we're all wondering what the future might hold, might I suggest that we take a moment to watch a favorite musical. It's a great way to boost sagging spirits and to remind us that there is always hope for a better day.

What are some of your favorite musicals? How have they touched your life? Feel free to share.

Return to the Neighborhood.

And while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, our newsletter brings you articles, products, services, resources and interviews from around the world—all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Neighborhood Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

2 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Oh, my goodness! Almost every musical I've ever seen has influenced my life. "Fiddler" is an absolute must-see for anyone. "The Music Man," "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," "South Pacific" ... sigh. And just last month I introduced my daughter to the "Sound of Music." She went to the play with her young women's group and wanted to see the movie. Tomorrow I'm showing the kids "Hello Dolly" - now that they're somewhat familiar with the music after seeing "WALL-E." Musicals are where it's at!

Cheri J. Crane said...

I agree, Tristi. =) I'm so glad someone else does, too. =D