Thursday, November 12, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

 


 To say that this year has been interesting, would be a huge understatement! Our entire world has been affected by events that we’re still striving to survive. And to me, the past few months have been a blur of healing, regaining strength, and chaos as life continuously threw curve-balls our direction.

And now, as we approach the holiday season that most of us enjoy and look forward to, I think we’re all experiencing an exhaustion of epic proportions. One can only live in flight or fight mode for so long before feeling drained emotionally, physically, and spiritually.

As a huge holiday approaches (Thanksgiving) I’m still finding that I’m too tired to even contemplate putting up my usual decorations for this time of year. This is sad to me. I found it sad last month, when all I seemed to have the energy to tackle was a few half-hearted Halloween decorations that I managed to set up outside with my husband’s help.

The past few days as I’ve attempted to keep up with my daily list of activities, responsibilities, etc. I’ve realized that all things considered, I’m doing remarkably well. Even if there are days when I feel much like our refrigerator that just died: “I’m done now.”

So I’ve taken a step back and tried to ponder all of the things that I’m very grateful for. It’s helping me take stock of the things that really matter as I sort life out in my head and heart.

I am grateful for the power of prayer. Even though things this year did not go according to plan . . . at all . . . I’m still standing because of prayer. I have survived cancer in the middle of a world-wide pandemic because of prayer. We have seen miraculous things take place (see my earlier blog posts for details) because of our personal prayers, and the prayers of others. Prayer is our lifeline to our Father in heaven. And currently we need His help . . . a lot. Prayer is crucial!

I am so thankful for healthcare workers who daily put their lives on the line for all of us! I saw firsthand this year the huge sacrifice nurses, doctors, dietitians, and the hospital support staff make on our behalf. Three of our immediate family members have bravely stood on the front lines of this horrid battle with the Covid virus, trying to save lives and make a positive difference in this troubled world. They wear uncomfortable gear that most of us would balk at on a daily basis. I only had to wear a similar outfit one day while helping with last week’s interesting election adventure, and by 7:30 that night (my shift started at 7:30 that morning) I was so done with wearing gloves, a face mask with a filter, and a face shield. And that’s only a small part of the protective gear that our hospital crews have to endure each day. We owe our healthcare workers a huge standing ovation for all that they have done to help us survive this pandemic. And is it really such a hardship that we’ve been asked to wear a simple mask to help ease their load?

This year has been a reminder of what is important, and what is not. I am so appreciative of teachers, counselors, and principals who put in countless hours trying to help kids learn both on and offline. This is another brave group of people who deserve a standing ovation. We may never fully realize just how much these courageous souls have sacrificed to make things work this year. Just as we may never fully understand how much time parents have put into helping their children endure this strange year of learning and coping. They also deserve a huge debt of gratitude for all that they have done! Their creativity is astounding as they help their offspring survive a time that has been difficult and taxing.

We also owe a huge debt of gratitude to those who work in grocery stores and other places of business. Daily they face huge risks to their health status as they help us get the items we need for every day life. Where would we be without their willingness to bravely face crowds of people knowing that at any time, they may come in contact with Covid?

I would also like to give a huge shout out to those who are working hard to finalize a vaccine that is being developed in a miraculous fashion to help stifle this Covid virus. I have a sibling who is among those courageous individuals involved in running tests for this all-important vaccine. Kudos to all of those who have spent countless hours researching something that is coming together faster than any other vaccine ever did.

I am grateful for toilet paper . . . and other items we take for granted until we can’t get it. We have so much in comparison to other eras—those little things that make life easier. How sad is it that we don’t fully appreciate what we have until it’s no longer available?

So this year, my list of items/people that I’m grateful for is very long. As I count my numerous blessings, it is a reminder that as draining as this year has been, it could’ve been a lot worse. Yes, there have been lots of disasters, natural and otherwise, and sadly, we have lost loved ones along the way, but we have never been alone. When we stop to ponder all of the challenges we have survived this past year, it becomes clear that through it all, we had more help than we realized. I suspect that if we could truly see what is going on, we would find that we have been surrounded by angels throughout the past few months. When we have experienced a touch of comfort here, or a bit of peace there, it has been a reminder that in the midst of our suffering, our Father and Elder Brother are very aware of us and all that we are enduring. Hope lives on, and faith will thrive if we will be charitable to one another and express gratitude for the tremendous blessings taking place all around us.

Someday we will look back on this time with wonder. Our great-grandkids will marvel over all that we survived, and hopefully, we can truthfully state that it was indeed the best of times, and the worst of times, but we came through with flying colors because we never fully gave in to despair.

No comments: